Please join us at The Hoop House for an afternoon of food, fellowship and fun in support of the completion of our root cellar. Admission is free.
We need an estimated $12,000 so we can use the root cellar to store dahlia tubers in November. Here is what's needed:
1) Metal Staircase and Railings - $4,500 (If we don't raise enough money for a metal staircase and railings (which will last forever), we will have them made out of pressure-treated wood, which will cost half as much)
2) Electricity - $1,000 (We need to wire up the hoop house, so we can have lights, outlets and activate both the thermostat and fan that blows air between the two layers of plastic. We also need lights on the stairway and ceiling of the root cellar.)
3) Shelving - $2,500 (The main chamber of the root cellar is 20' x 15'. We'll need about 120' of sturdy metal shelving units to hold all of the 200 or more crates of stored dahlia tubers.)
4) Dumbwaiter - $2,800 (The manual dumbwaiter costs $2,300 and we anticipate the cost of building the wooden shaft to accommodate the dumbwaiter above the root cellar to be around $500.)
5) Circulation System - $1,200 (Besides 40-50% temperature and 80-90% humidity, air circulation is the next most important factor so that the tubers do not get moldy. We already have pipes in place to direct cold air to the base of the root cellar, but we need a fan, additional pipes and three outlet ducts.)
*Snack on vegetarian potluck dishes and sip on libations. Please bring a dish to share (no meat, fish or eggs please. Milk products are acceptable.)
*Music by Eion Meldrum and Dino Car
*Kids Craft Table
*Visit our Merchandise and Education Tables
*Meet Bee Keeper Brian Peterson of Bees in the D
*Shuttle to and from Detroit Abloom
Donations can be safely made online or by check to The Garden Detroit, a Michigan nonprofit organization.
All donations are tax deductible and we will be glad to send you a tax exempt letter.